Sunday, December 27, 2009

A wonderful brit in Zikhron Ya'akov

Today, I went to my first ever brit milah in Zikhron Ya'akov. Since I am the youngest in my family, I had never been to a brit milah before. Any ways, it was really special. My husband's cousin Sima had just had a baby boy who was absolutely the most adorable that one can imagine. His hands were so tiny. Any ways, while brit milahs generally are not as big ceremony-wise as weddings and bar mitzvahs, they are still nevertheless nice celebrations. Just like in the bar mitzvah party of last week, there was an appetizer part where people got to dine on various types of snack foods like ciggars and cous cous. Then, there were the various types of salads. I had corn salad, Israeli salad, hommus with bread, and these green hot spicy peppers that made even my mouth explode, despite the fact that I usually really love spicy food. Every one was laughing at my reaction to the peppers by calling desperately for water, but that was part of the fun I suppose. Then, we had our first course, where I chose to eat boreikhas. After that, there was the brit ceremony. All of these Iraqi Jewish women were calling out coo-dooo-doo, throwing candle in the air, and dancing, as the foreskin was removed from the baby boy. Then, we all ate the last course, where I ate chicken with Arabic rice with raisons and potatoes. And to end it all, there was Mizrachi dancing, where I got to dance with Shachar's aunts Shoshana and Carmella, and also with the brit baby's older brother, who shied away when I started to belly dance with him. In sum, it was a great ceremony!

No comments:

Post a Comment